Baked Chicken Taquitos
(adapted from Our Best Bites)
Makes about 16
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup green salsa
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 green onion, sliced finely
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup grated pepper jack or cheddar cheese
small yellow or white corn tortillas
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, mix softened cream cheese, green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well. (You can prepare this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the refrigerator.)
3) Working with a few tortillas at a time, place 3-4 between two damp paper towels and microwave for 30-45 seconds, until tortillas are soft and pliable and don’t crack when rolled.
4) Place 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on the lower third of a soft tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Then roll it up as tight as you can. Secure with a toothpick if necessary. Place filled taquitos seam side down on the baking sheet, making sure they don’t touch each other.
5) When ready to bake, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and lightly sprinkle salt on top. Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown. Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream. Enjoy!