If there was an award for Most Surprising Dish of the Year, it would go to this one. It is an interesting combination of ingredients, but they come together so perfectly! The colors are beautiful and my husband even remarked how fancy this pasta dish seemed. "Like the kind of dish you would make for company." We really love this one!
Pasta with Kale, Cranberries, Feta and Garlic Chips
(adpated from Two Peas and Their Pod)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 head garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 large bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound penne or other pasta
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook garlic, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer garlic with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain; set aside.
2) Cook onion in the remaining oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add dried cranberries and cook until plumped, about 1 minute.
3) Add kale leaves into onion mixture with water, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water and drain pasta.
5) Toss pasta with kale and add up to 1/2 cup pasta water, if desired. Sprinkle feta cheese, adjust salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with garlic chips; serve warm. Enjoy!