Monday, July 26, 2010

Sloppy Joe Turnovers

UPDATE: I first published this post without including a sloppy joe recipe because I couldn't recommend a good one.  Soon after, my friend Heather recommended her recipe and we love it!  It's slightly sweet, a little tangy, and very flavorful.  It might just convert me into being a sloppy joe lover yet.  I've included my adapted version in this post.


I am not a sloppy joe fan, but my husband loves them. So when I came across this idea for Sloppy Joe Turnovers, I thought it would be a good compromise for us. It's gotta be good if it's wrapped in biscuit, right?

This is a great recipe to prepare with kids. My son loved to stretch and pound out the dough, as well as spoon the meat into the center. He didn't really catch on to how to pinch the dough together, but he tried. And he was great at sprinkling the cheese on top. Definitely make this one with help from little ones.


Sloppy Joe Turnovers
Makes 10-12 Turnovers

Ingredients
Meat Mixture:
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 can diced green chilies
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

Turnovers:
10-12 canned refrigerated biscuits
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions
Prepare Meat Mixture:
1) Brown ground beef or turkey in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Drain and return to stove. 
2) Add onion and cook until translucent.  Turn heat to medium, and add all remaining meat mixture ingredients. Stir until combined and let simmer for 5-10 mins.
Prepare Turnovers:
1) After preparing the sloppy joe meat, roll out biscuits with your hands or a rolling pin until they are large and round.
2) Place heaping spoonfuls of meat mixture in the center of each flattened biscuit. Fold over the biscuit to cover the meat and seal the edges with a fork or pinch together with your fingers.
3) Cut a small slit on the top of each turnover. Sprinkle each with cheese.
4) Bake turnovers on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and the bread is cooked through. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a good Idea! I think I need to eat more biscuits anyways. This is my favorite sloppy joe recipe.http://heatherlikesfood.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/sloppy-joes/ Give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always did a different type of Sloppy Joes. I've never even tasted manwich, and have no desire to. :) So, here's the "different" way I make them:

    1 lb ground beef
    1 large can Pork and Beans
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    dehydrated onions (couple shakes)

    Brown hamburger, drain and add a couple shakes of onion. Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer about 5 minutes. It'll be runny, which then makes it REALLY sloppy joes. SO YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...