Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Savory Squash Soup

I know I've said it before, but I can't help saying it again: I love soup.  One of the reasons I love soup is because it is so easy for my son to help; this boy is a master pot-stirrer.  Another reason soup is awesome?  My son will typically eat anything if it's in soup form.  Especially when it's all puréed together and he can watch it mix up in the blender.  Squash soup is a classic, but I couldn't help a [somewhat maniacal] chuckle to myself as the two of us ate, knowing that between us we were eating an entire squash.  Any other moms out there smiling at that thought?




Savory Squash Soup
(adapted from Bon Apetit)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4


Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
1-2 tablespoons milk


Directions
1) Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper and sauté until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
2) Add broth, water, squash, thyme and sage; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
3) Working in batches,  purée soup in blender to desired consistency. Return soup to same pot and bring to a simmer. If soup is too thick, stir in 1-2 tablespoons milk.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...