Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma

If I'm being honest, this--THIS!--is the recipe that motivated me to post on my food blog again.  I discovered it a few months ago and we have made it at least four times already.  It was our Easter dinner.  It was our meal when we had friends over.  It was our church-is-over-and-we're-starving meal.  We usually double it because of my family of two adults, two children, and one baby can eat it all in one sitting, and we like to have leftovers.  If I'm being honest, I think I like the onions more than the rest of my silly family, so we often only use half an onion instead of a full one.  I have tinkered with some of the amounts of spices, but finally decided that it is actually best as written, so I don't mess with it anymore.  This is definitely a new family favorite and one that will stay on our rotation!


Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma
(from New York Times)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
2 lemons, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Pinch cinnamon
Red pepper flakes, to taste
2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 large red onion, peeled and cut into large chunks

Directions
1) Prepare marinade for the chicken: combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a large bowl, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
2) When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a rimmed sheet pan. Add the chopped onion to the chicken and marinade, and toss once to combine. Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade, and place on the pan, spreading evenly.
3) Put the chicken in the oven and roast until it is browned, crisp at the edges and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 10 minutes, then slice or shred. Serve with pita, tomatoes, cucumbers, tzatziki sauce, olives, feta, rice, hummus, tabouli, or whatever else you choose.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog fun. Love it...
    Butchers Chicken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Felicia, this is Kaylyn, from years and years ago :) I tried this recipe a few weeks ago, and it was AMAZING, thank you! I hope your family is doing well in all this crazy going on, wherever in the world this msg finds you. Much love, Kaylyn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...