Monday, February 22, 2010

Salt Lick Peach Cobbler

I suddenly have a craving for the Salt Lick Restaurant, a Texas-based eatery where this cobbler originates. No, I've never been to the restaurant. No, I've never even been to Texas. But this cobbler is giving me some new motivation to visit.

This is one of those recipes that I've had for years and had never gotten around to trying.
I don't usually make cobblers; I make crisps. And I don't usually use canned fruit when I make crisps; I prefer fresh fruit. (I'm sounding like such the dessert snob!) But this recipe is amazingly good! The melted butter from the bottom of the pan creates a wonderful crunchy glaze on top that only a butter-sugar combination can achieve. 

In fact, the cobbler is intensely good to the point where, even though you're hungry for more, that second helping might be a little too much for a person to handle. (This coming from the woman who ate a second helping and then was sneaking bites throughout the rest of the evening.) You may want to save this recipe for when you have guests over. You'll hear rave reviews!



Salt Lick Peach Cobbler

(adapted from Cookie Madness)
Printable Recipe
Serves 8

Ingredients

FILLING:
1 (32 ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

BATTER:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a 13 x 9 pan.
2) In medium-sized bowl, combine filling ingredients. Set aside.
3) In medium-sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in egg and milk. Pour evenly over melted butter.
4) Spread filling over batter. DO NOT STIR! Bake 30-40 minutes or until batter comes to the top of the pan and is golden brown. Let sit for 15 minutes to cool. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

*Peach-Berry Cobbler Variation: Stir in 2 cups berries of your choice (blueberries and blackberries both work well) to the filling ingredients; continue with directions as written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...