Pizza with Ricotta, Bacon, Spinach and Onion
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
Makes 1 large pizza
pizza dough for 1 pizza
1/2 pound bacon, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
1 medium onion, thinly sliced6 ounces fresh spinach
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon flour
salt and pepper to taste
1) Spread out the pizza dough onto a prepared pan. Set aside.
2) In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until the bacon crisps up. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
3) Add onion to bacon grease in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and onions begin to caramelize, 7 to 10 minutes, and then remove from heat. Set aside.
4) While onions are cooking, place about one inch of water into a medium-sized pot. Bring water to a boil and then add spinach and salt to taste. Cook spinach until tender, about 5 minutes.
5) Drain spinach in a colander, squeezing out as much excess water as possible by pressing the spinach with a spoon or squeezing the spinach in a towel. Transfer the spinach to a cutting board and finely chop. Set aside.
6) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese and sour cream with flour; season with salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
7) Spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the pizza dough within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle with the bacon, onion and spinach.
8) Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Enjoy!