My husband really likes the boxed macaroni and cheese. A lot. And I think it's gross. But he's not a big fan of homemade macaroni and cheese. It's a source of tension in our house.
Ok, it's really not. We just end up eating both on occasion to make the other one happy. So I'm constantly trying to find a homemade macaroni and cheese recipe that he actually enjoys and not just tolerates.
And guess what? He liked this one. He actually said those words. And so did I. It was creamy, cheesy, easy, goodness. Perfect.
Easy No-Bake Macaroni and Cheese
(adapted from Eating Well)
8 ounces (2 cups) elbow noodles
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli or 1 small head broccoli, chopped
1 3/4 cups milk, divided
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon mustard
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
2) Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until just simmering.
3) Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk; return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and whisk in Cheddar and mustard until the cheese is melted.
5) Drain the pasta and broccoli when tender, and add to the cheese sauce. Stir until combined. Enjoy!