Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stovetop Rice Pudding

Happy Cinco de Mayo! There are two Mexican restaurants in Sarajevo (of varying quality and propensity to make you feel sick afterwords) and I'm going to do my darnedest to convince my husband that we should celebrate the holiday by going out to eat at one of them. :)

Here is an easy dessert for your festivities--rice pudding. It may not exactly be Mexican in origin, but it's about as close as I can get. (I'm in Bosnia, remember?) It is creamy, sweet, perfect hot off the stove and without a doubt my favorite way to use leftover rice. I admit I have made extra rice on purpose in order to have an excuse to make rice pudding for breakfast the next day.

If you want to be a little more adventurous with your rice pudding, try this out and use it as filling for empanadas. I'm not sure how well they would work with my homemade tortillas, but it looks delicious.



Stovetop Rice Pudding
(adapted from Taste of Home)
Printable Recipe

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
heaping 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins

Directions
1) In a medium saucepan stir in rice, salt, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
2) Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, over medium heat for 25-35 minutes or until thickened. Add raisins in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
3) Remove from heat. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...