Monday, May 3, 2010

Flour Tortillas

Mexican foods are a little tricky to make when living abroad because common ingredients like tortillas, jalapenos, cilantro, and black beans are sometimes hard to come by. In fact, I never realized how often I made Mexican foods for dinner until, suddenly, I couldn't!

The prospect of making my own tortillas has always been a little daunting to me. Maybe it's because a lot of recipes I've seen use lard as an ingredient. Perhaps those recipes are more authentic than this one, but I have not gotten to the point in my cooking where I feel comfortable buying lard. Let alone Bosnian lard. But this blog is all about trying to cook new things, so I figured now is the best time to make some homemade tortillas. This recipe is so easy and it comes together very quickly. My at-home tortillas may not have looked perfect, but they tasted pretty dang close.



Flour Tortillas
(from CuisineNie)
Printable Recipe

Makes 10-12 tortillas

Ingredients
2 cups white or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup warm tap water

Directions
1) Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oil and stir until well combined.
2) Add warm tap water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough can be gathered into a ball. If needed, add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time.
3) Knead on floured surface 15-20 times. Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
4) Divide dough into 10-12 equal portions and shape into balls. On floured surface roll out ball from center into a circle. Cook on an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat about one minute on each side or until puffy. Enjoy!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...