Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Griddle Cakes with Simple Berry Syrup



Ready for another confession? Before we moved away from the States, I don't think I'd ever made pancakes from scratch in my life. I know. Pretty pathetic.

One of the aspects of cooking abroad is that all of those convenience items I've always used are, in general, no longer available. Stuff like pancake mix. Lucky for me, about the time we moved away from the States, a friend of mine shared her recipe for griddle cakes. They are officially my go-to recipe and I have not even missed those pancakes-from-a-box in the least.

As far as maple syrup goes, it's available here, but it's pretty pricey. And for some reason I have a hard time spending a lot of money on imported foods. So, my solution in this case was to make a simple berry syrup. So easy and so good! Plus, it tastes great on ice cream. And, yes, I would make this syrup just to put it on ice cream.



Griddle Cakes
(adapted from Frontier Kitchen)
Printable Recipe
Serves 3-4

Ingredients
1 cup flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
1) In a large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients.
2) Make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients so you can see the bottom of the bowl. Add the egg to the "well" and beat with a fork.
3) Add all the remaining ingredients and stir until just combined.
4) Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-low heat. Drizzle a small amount of vegetable oil over the griddle.
5) Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour batter onto hot pan.
6) Cook batter until bubbles begin to form and pop; flip. Griddle cakes are done when the center of the cake springs back lightly when touched. Enjoy!



Simple Berry Syrup
Serves 3-4

Ingredients
1 cup berries, fresh or frozen (I used a frozen mix)
1/2 cup sugar

Directions
1) If using fresh berries, wash and stem them as needed.
2) Combine berries and sugar in a small pot over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
3) Using the back of a mixing spoon or a potato masher, smash the berries to the consistency you desire. If you want a smooth syrup, pour mixture into a blender and pulse; strain with a colander. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I didn't know you had a food blog! Fun stuff!

    Second of all, I love that you love my griddle cakes. I actually just made some for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...