Saturday, April 3, 2010

Faux Reese's Peanut Butter Bars

Peanut butter is a somewhat precious commodity here. Yes, the grocery stores sell it (look in the refrigerated section), but it's about $3 for a measly 350 gram jar. Call it frugality or stinginess, but I just can't justify spending the money for peanut butter and then using it all on one recipe--regardless of how scrumptious that recipe may be.

 I know. I don't get me either.

At some point, we must have professed our love for peanut butter to some fellow ex-pats (who have job perks which include being able to ship things to BiH at whim) because the other week at church we were presented with TWO massive 800 gram jars of Jiffy peanut butter! Be still my beating heart! I didn't let much time pass before I took advantage of our peanut butter treasure and made a batch of Faux Reese's Peanut Butter Bars (because no, we don't have Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in BiH).

It was an excellent use of our peanut butter and I don't feel guilty at all for making them because they are so satisfying in every peanut butter and chocolate-y way. In fact, I'm going to go eat another square right now. Excuse me while I raid my kitchen.



Faux Reese's Peanut Butter Bars
(adapted from Mmm...Cafe)
Printable Recipe
Serves 24

Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (Or chop up a chocolate bar made "for baking or eating." I used a whopping 200 gram bar of chocolate for this recipe.)

Directions
1) In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt margarine. Remove from microwave and add peanut butter, salt and powdered sugar. Mix until combined. Grease a 9x13 pan and spread peanut butter mixture into bottom of pan evenly.
2) Melt chocolate chips in a microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Pour over peanut butter mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...