Friday, February 12, 2010

White Chili

I was organizing my recipes recently and ran across White Chili. I had never made this soup before, but for years I've had two different recipes tucked away in my email, waiting to be tried. Since I knew that canned white beans were actually available here (hooray!), I thought it was about time I gave it a go. Of course, I didn't actually use either of the recipes I had on hand. Instead I found an entirely different recipe to base my soup on.

As usual, I had to accept the fact that some of the ingredients I would like to use aren't currently available to me. Canned green chilies? If only. But even with some changes, the soup was delicious! And my protein-picky two-year old ate it--chicken and all!--and wanted more. Bless you, White Chili!



*Check out the "Stateside" adaption of this recipe below the original.

(Want to make this a vegetarian meal? Omit the chicken, use vegetable broth, and try a variety of beans.  Actually, we often prefer this soup without the chicken.)



White Chili
(adapted from Taste of Home)
Printable Recipe
Serves 6

Ingredients

1/2 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon
hot chili powder (add more if you like it spicy)
1 can (15 ounce) corn, drained
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1/2 cup milk

Directions
1) In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, garlic and paprika in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
2) Add the beans, broth, seasonings, and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
3) Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and milk until creamy. Enjoy!



Stateside Version: Add 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro (optional), and 1 can diced green chilies in Step 2 when adding the other seasonings.  Continue with the rest of the recipe as written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...