Saturday, February 13, 2010

Poor Man's Steak 'n Everything

Growing up, my mom occasionally made an open-faced sandwich using ground beef. I have a suspicion that this dinner item originated out of her need to get rid of some extra ground beef from the freezer, but whatever the reason, we loved this meal. However, I realized that I never shared this with my own family until very recently. We were in need of a quick meal, had everything on hand, and I knew that they would love it.

My husband is not partial to mushrooms, but I think these would be great with a few sliced up. I would also love to try using cream cheese instead of mayonnaise sometime for a creamier version. For more inspiration, check out the menu at my family's favorite steak sandwich shop when I was growing up, and create your own Poor Man's Steak 'n Everything.



Poor Man's Steak 'n Everything
Printable Recipe
Serves 4

Ingredients
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 loaf french bread, sliced
mayonnaise, about 1 tablespoon per slice of bread
1 tomato, thinly sliced
sliced provolone cheese (or whatever cheese you have available)

Directions
1) In large skillet, cook beef and drain excess fat. Return skillet to stove and add onion, garlic, green pepper, and salt and pepper until the onions are clear and green peppers are soft.
2) Arrange sliced bread on a cookie sheet. Spread mayonnaise of bread. Spoon meat mixture on top of bread. Top this with a slice of tomato. Lastly, top with cheese.
3) Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Use the broiler for 5 minutes if you would like more of a golden color. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...