Sunday, April 10, 2016

Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies

Ok, I get it.  I've neglected my food blog.  The funny thing is, I have all sorts of recipes to share, but they've been sitting in draft for months on end.  Take this recipe for snickerdoodles as an example.  It's been sitting in draft since last Christmas.  So...let's try and remedy that, shall we?

I know I mentioned snickerdoodles in a post several years ago, but let me just retell the story: The church congregation we attended when we lived in Germany asked me to bring "something American" for a party.  Even though I know it wasn't our Christmas party, somehow snickerdoodles became a Christmas cookie for our family thereafter.  As a result, this year when we finally got around to giving plates of cookies to friends, snickerdoodles were on the plate.

I have tinkered with many recipes since we lived in Germany, but I think I finally found our favorite with this one.  Soft and chewy, with the right proportions of cinnamon and sugar, I'll be using this recipe from now on.


Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies
(from Love From the Oven)
Printable Recipe
Makes about 3 dozen

Ingredients
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

TOPPING:
5 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
1) In a large bowl or mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the eggs, milk and vanilla and mix well.
2) Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cream and tartar; stir together until just combined.
3) Cover bowl and chill for at least two hours (up to 24 hours).
4) When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the topping ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
5) Form the dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll each ball of dough into the cinnamon and sugar topping to coat well.
6) Placed on a greased baking sheet and bake 8-9 minutes.  Do not over bake.  Allow to cool on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack.  Store extras in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...