Sunday, January 12, 2014

Soft Gingerbread Cookies

This Christmas was one of the most relaxed we've ever had, and yet I still didn't get around to making all of the Christmas treats I had planned before the big day.  Which is why this recipe is coming a bit late.

My husband has told me in no uncertain terms that he does not like ginger snaps, breads or any other ginger cookie variation.  But, as I sometimes do when it comes to food, I ignored him.  I told myself that I wanted our children to experience all types of food, regardless of whether my husband and I like them or not, and therefore could not--in good conscience--not make these cookies.  Honestly, gingerbread cookies are not a favorite of mine, either, but for some reason I just couldn't get this recipe out of my mind!

And guess what?  These cookies are awesome!  So soft and moist, without any overpowering flavors.  I had the kids put frosting on some (because they were supposed to be Christmas cookies), but the frosting isn't necessary.  Besides, I wouldn't limit these cookies to a certain season!  I will be making them all year round.


Soft Gingerbread Cookies
(adapted from Made to be a Momma)
Printable Recipe
Makes about 30 cookies

Ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon all-spice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1) In a large bowl or mixer, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2) Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.
3) In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients; gradually add dry ingredients to the wet mixture until combined.
4) Shape the dough into balls and place the cookies two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5) Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Allow cookies to cool five minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...