Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta

Couscous is not one of those things I grew up eating.  In fact, I don't think I'd even tried it until I was visiting my in-laws house one day.  It is one of the things that my husband grew up eating, so when I made this recipe, I knew he'd love it.  His eyes lit up when he saw what we were having for dinner, and honestly, that usually doesn't happen unless there's some sort of meat involved.

I was pretty sure my kids would like this, too--which they did!--but the big surprise for me was how this dish became the catalyst for them to rediscover their love for cashews.  Suddenly they can't get enough of them!  And anytime they find a new food they love--be it cashews or couscous--it makes me happy.


Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta
(adapted from Cooking Light)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup water
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, roughly chopped
3/4 cups crumbled feta cheese

Directions
1) Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
2) While couscous stands, steam broccoli florets, covered, for 3 minutes or until tender.
3) In a large bowl, combine couscous, broccoli, onion, and next 10 ingredients (onion through chickpeas), tossing gently. Sprinkle with cashews and feta before serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...