Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm inherently lazy.  Which makes baking cookies difficult.  I mean, you have to scoop each one individually  on a pan.  And then there's all that wait time while they're baking.  And then you have to scoop even more cookie dough onto a pan!  For whatever reason, I think eating straight cookie dough is kind of gross, but why does it take so much effort to bake the things?  If I didn't love dessert so much, I probably wouldn't bake at all.

I know I'm being whiny here, but, sadly, there's some truth in all this.  Which no doubt explains why these jumbo cookies have been my go-to recipe for such a long time.  With a minimal amount of time and effort, I can have a plate full of giant, soft, chewy cookies.  It's pretty magical.  And, because they are so jumbo-sized, I feel particularly free to add whatever goodies I want to them.  After  making dozens and dozens of these guys, using a variety of add-ins, I think my favorite combination so far is dark chocolate chips and crushed pretzels.  I think the bitterness of the dark chocolate really complements the sweet butter cookie, and the pretzels are a nice crunchy, slightly salty surprise.  Although don't get me wrong--plain chocolate chip is nothing short of fantastic.


Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Betty Crocker)
Printable Recipe
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen jumbo cookies

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour (I typically use 1/4 cup white wheat flour.  You know, to keep it healthy.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or whatever add-ins you like)

Directions
1) Mix sugars, butter, vanilla and egg in a large bowl or stand mixer.
2) Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.  Dough will be stiff.  Gently fold in chocolate chips (or whatever add-ins you're using).
3) Using a 1/4 cup as a guide, scoop six cookies at a time on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes, or until the centers are set and the edges are beginning to golden.  (For chewy and not crunchy cookies, do not overbake.)  Allow cookies to cool slightly before removing them to a wire rack until cool.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...