Thursday, July 19, 2012

Simple Quinoa Chili

It's been a while since I've confessed anything in a blog post, so here's one:  I blog/facebook stalk.  Before you start thinking how crazy I am, I only do it on occasion.  Like when I'm really bored or really trying to procrastinate.  I dabble at stalking.  Really, it's just every once in a while.  And usually it's people that I have known at some point, but were never close to, and we haven't talked in years, but I wonder what they're up to.  So it's not really that bad, right?

I'm not alone in this am I?

Anyway, when we lived in Boston years ago, we knew several vegetarians.  I regret that we never took advantage of their varied and experienced vegetarian-style cooking because I think it would really help now that we're flirting with vegetarianism ourselves.  So I resorted to a little stalking.  A check of facebook, finding someone's blog, click click, search for recipes, yada yada, and suddenly I have a perfectly delicious and extremely easy recipe.

And an excuse to continue stalking.


Simple Quinoa Chili
(adapted from Kate's recipe, which isn't linked to save myself from embarrassment)
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed in warm water
1 can (15 ounces) corn, drained
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup water or broth
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed

Directions
1) Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté until tender. Add salt, garlic, green pepper and spices; sauté for 5-10 minutes. 
2) Add rinsed quinoa and stir until combined. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water or broth to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer together 20 minutes. 
3) Add beans to the pot and simmer another 15 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream or whatever else you like to put on chili.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This was EXCELLENT! Thank you for stalking and sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...