Sausage and Lentil Soup
(adapted from My Baking Addiction)
3/4 cup brown or green lentils, sorted
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
dash red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups chicken broth
1 can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
fresh grated Parmesan, to garnish
1) In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, add the Italian sausage. Brown the sausage until it is cooked through; drain.
3) Add in the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, zucchini, herbs and spices, cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
4) Add the chicken stock, canned tomatoes, and drained lentils; cover, and bring to a boil.
5) Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender, stirring occasionally.
6) Add water, if desired, to adjust the consistency of the soup. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with grated Parmesan. Enjoy!