Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup with Cabbage

Really, all I had to say was "ham" and my husband was on board.  I admit I've gone a little crazy with the soups this year, but I can't help trying to make as many as I can while it's still cool enough outside to feel justified.  Even if I'm driving my husband a little crazy while doing so.  There were no complaints about this one, however.  The flavors get better the longer the soup sits, so the leftovers were every bit as wonderful as the first time around.



Ham and Bean Soup with Cabbage
(adapted from Chase Rivers)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4-6


Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 cups chicken broth
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 1/2 cups cabbage, chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cans (14 ounce) white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup ham, diced

Directions
1) Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large pot.  Add onions and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.  
2) Stir in flour, salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes.  Slowly, whisk in broth and bring to a boil.  Simmer 5-10 minutes or until soup begins to thicken slightly.  
3) Add celery, cabbage and apple cider vinegar.  Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
4) Add beans and ham and simmer at least 10 minutes.  Adjust salt to taste.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...