Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Raised Waffles, Yeasted Waffles, Overnight Waffles, Waffles of Even More Insane Greatness

More than a year ago, I was on the search for a delicious waffle recipe.  Luckily for me, Orangette had just completed the same search and done all of the hard work for me by deciding on two winning waffle recipes.  I have made the Waffles of Insane Greatness more times than I can remember.  They are wonderful!  Fabulous flavor, light and crispy.  I was so satisfied that, to my embarrassment, it has taken me this long to get around to making the other recipe she recommended.  My profuse apologies.  Seriously.  I am genuinely sorry that I have not taken the time to make these yeasted waffles before.  I have done myself, my family, and my blog readers a huge disservice.


Because these waffles are AMAZING.  So light and crispy, so soft and tender inside.  The yeast created a more complex flavor that I just loved.  And, if you're one of those people that plan ahead, you can do 90% of the work the night before and then there's little to do for breakfast.  (Or if you're more like me, you make the batter after having just eaten breakfast and then have waffles ready for dinner.)  Either way, you must try these waffles!




Raised Waffles
(from Orangette
)
Printable Recipe
Serving size varies depending on waffle maker

Ingredients
½ cup warm water
1 package (2 ¼ teaspoons) dry yeast (not instant yeast)
2 cups milk, warmed
1 stick (½ cup) butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ teaspoon baking soda

Directions
1) Pour the water into a large mixing bowl. (The batter will rise to double its volume.) Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and let stand to dissolve for 5 minutes.
2) Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour, and beat until well blended and smooth.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let it stand overnight at room temperature.
3) Just before cooking the waffles, 
preheat waffle maker to your preferred setting.  Add the eggs and baking soda to the mixture, and stir to mix well. Batter will be thin. Pour an appropriate amount of batter into your hot waffle maker (this amount will vary from machine to machine). Cook until golden and crisp.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...