Monday, November 15, 2010

Quiche Lorraine

My parents visited us while we were living in Germany last year and we took a whirl wind trip to everything within driving distance.  One of our stops was Nancy, France where we ate dinner at the L'Excelsior Restaurant and I had one of the best meals of my entire life.  The food was so indescribably good and the restaurant was so exquisitely decorated that it was totally worth the two hour wait.

My father ordered the quiche lorraine for an appetizer and we each had a few bites.  Honestly, I never cared much about quiche until I ate it that day and now, suddenly, I'm a quiche snob.  Nothing can quite compare to the L'Excelsior's.  But I'm ok with that because it gives me another reason to go back there some day!  In any case, since I had never made my own quiche lorraine before, I thought I should finally give it a go.  This one is so easy and it comes out light, airy, and filling.  Of course you can exchange the bacon and green peppers for meats and veggies of your choice.  

I can't promise L'Excelsior quality, but until you eat there yourself, you won't know what you're missing.  My suggestion is to make this delicious quiche, then fly to Nancy, France to try the quiche at the L'Excelsior, and then let me know how they compare.  And while you're there, try their steak with au gratin potatoes.  My mouth waters just thinking about them!


Quiche Lorraine
(from Virtual Goody Plate)
Printable Recipe
Serves 8

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of black pepper
1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 lb. bacon, crisply cooked and chopped
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust

Directions
1) In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, onion, green pepper, salt, and pepper; mix well.
2) In a separate bowl, toss cheese with the flour. Add cheese mixture and chopped bacon to egg mixture.
3) Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...