Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Carmelitos

I found this recipe while we were living in Bosnia.  I remember because it was a big deal to me when I had found caramel ice cream topping in one of the grocery stores and had a recipe that used it.  The fact that I never got around to actually making this while we lived in Bosnia is besides the point.

But I think of the various desserts I made for my husband's birthday party last weekend, this one was my favorite.  I love the oatmeal caramel chocolate combination.  It was crunchy, chewy yumminess in every bite.


Carmelitos
Serves 15

Ingredients
1 cup flour, plus 3 tablespoons flour, divided
1 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup caramel topping
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)

Directions
1) Mix 1 cup flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking soda, salt and butter. Press half of the mixture into a greased 8x8 pan and set the other half aside. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
2) In a small bowl, blend caramel topping with 3 tablespoons flour.
3) Sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped pecans (if using) on top of the baked oatmeal mixture.  Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips.
4) Sprinkle the balance of the oatmeal mixture over the dessert.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until light brown.  Allow to cool and set before slicing.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...