Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Potato Chickpea Masala

My husband said that this is the best curry dish I've ever made--and that's saying something, considering how many curry dishes I've made.  So recently the two of us have been discussing which meal is really the superior: Mixed Vegetable Masala or Potato Chickpea Masala. Luckily, this is one of those arguments that doesn't need a winner because I would willingly make either one again.


Potato Chickpea Masala
(adapted from Epicurious)
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds potatoes
1 jalapeño, coarsely chopped, seeds and ribs removed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups water, divided
1 large red onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen peas (do not thaw)
1/3 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1) Peel potatoes and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cold water.
2) Purée jalapeño and garlic in a food processor with ginger powder, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, turmeric if using, oil, and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Transfer purée to skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
3) Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 8 minutes.
4) Drain potatoes, then add to onion mixture to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are barely tender, about 10 minutes.
5) Add chickpeas and remaining 1 1/2 cups water, scraping up any brown bits, then briskly simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 16 to 20 minutes more.
6) Add frozen peas and cook, covered, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in toasted coconut and cilantro. Eat in a pita or over basmati rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of curry powder do you use? Brand, I mean.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much help here, I'm afraid. Each brand is a little different and so I usually have a couple in the cupboard at all times and use whatever one I'm in the mood for. I don't think I have a real favorite, although I frequently use Spice Islands brand.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...