Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Curry Chicken in Basil Coconut Sauce

You may have noticed that after moving back to the US, I went a little crazy making things that I wouldn't have been able to make in Bosnia--mostly Mexican-type food or meals that involved a lot of cheddar.  Maybe you haven't noticed at all, but I sure have.  I think it's usually because, while I'm making or eating the meal, I think, "wow, I couldn't have made this four months ago," and then it perpetuates the cycle of making more food like that.

I think I have finally been satiated of the Mexican-cheddar craving.  But now I'm beginning to feel a curry kick coming on.  I make curried foods pretty regularly anyway, but it's been sounding really good to me lately.  So be prepared for a little more curry coming your way.  Are you excited?
















Curry Chicken in Basil Coconut Sauce
(adapted from My Kitchen Cafe)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt, divided
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon ginger powder

Directions
1) Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Stir together curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
2) Heat oil n a large nonstick frying pan and stir in onion, garlic, jalapeƱos, and basil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink.
3) In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and cornstarch and whisk well. Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in ginger. Cook and stir for another minute. Serve over basmati rice with plain yogurt, if needed, to tone down the spiciness.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...