Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Carrot-Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I made this cake for my son's second birthday a couple of weeks ago. A cake with fruit and vegetables in it was my way of justifying to myself that he can have as much cake as he wants on his birthday. (Little did I know, he would be too interested in the toy trains I put on top of the cake to actually eat any of it. Ah well.) This cake is so moist, with a spice cake quality that we loved. It's so good that I think it will be my go-to recipe for the next few birthday's to come. Then it will be my way of justifying to myself that I can have as much cake as I want.



Carrot-Pineapple Cake

(adapted from Mmm...Cafe)

Printable Recipe
Serves 12

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup tidbit or crushed pineapple, with syrup

Directions
1) Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl. 2) Add vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, carrot, and pineapple. Mix all ingredients together until moistened and integrated.
3) Bake in greased and lightly floured 13 x 9 inch pan at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.



Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
dash salt
4 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk

Directions
1) Cream butter and cream cheese together, then beat in vanilla and salt.
2) Gradually add powdered sugar until incorporated. If frosting is too thick, stir in milk in small amounts until you get the desired consistency. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...