This recipe changed my world-view on what homemade Asian food can taste like. Why have I made so many mediocre sweet and sour chicken dishes? Why did I bother with those other recipes in the first place? Why didn't I know about this recipe sooner?! Don't waste your time. Use this recipe!
Chinese Take-Out Sweet and Sour Chicken
(adapted from My Kitchen Cafe)
4 chicken breasts, chopped
1 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
red pepper flakes, optional
1) Dip chicken into egg and then coat in flour. Heat oil in large skillet at medium-high heat. Brown chicken pieces, but do not cook all the way through. Place chicken in a single layer in a large baking pan.
2) Whisk all sauce ingredients together; pour sauce over chicken.
3) Bake chicken at 325 degrees for one hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes to ensure the sauce equally coats the chicken pieces.
For additional sauce with your chicken:
1) In a small pot, whisk all sauce ingredients together; add red pepper flakes to taste, if desired.
2) Bring sauce to a boil. Stirring constantly, let cook over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced. Enjoy!