Friday, February 26, 2010

Broiled Grapefruit

My husband loves grapefruit to the point that we eat it almost daily when it's in season. I think this is my new favorite way to have it. I initially thought warm grapefruit might put me off a little, but I really, really liked it. With ridiculously little effort, you can make something both impressive and different.



Broiled Grapefruit
(adapted from Saveur)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4

Ingredients

2 maraschino cherries, if desired (yeah...we don't have that here)
2 ruby red grapefruits, halved
4–8 tablespoons brown sugar (yeah...we don't have brown sugar here, either. I used the closest thing I could find.)

Directions
1) Set an oven rack 4" from broiler; preheat. Halve cherries, set aside. Trim the ends of grapefruits so that they sit flat when upright; transfer to a baking sheet, cut side up.
2) Run a knife around the edges and between sections of grapefruit to loosen. Sprinkle each half with 1–2 tbsp. sugar; place 1 cherry half, rounded side up, in the middle of each grapefruit.
3) Broil 5-6 minutes, or until bubbling and sugar caramelizes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...