Friday, September 17, 2010

Cucumber Dill Salad

My neighbor had an influx of cucumbers recently and was kind enough to share with me. It made me think of the plenitude of cucumber salads they have in Russia. My husband and I spent a few months in Moscow several years ago and I fell in love with the food, especially the salads. They don't typically do lettuce salads like we have here in the States and it was fun to try a new array of fresh vegetable combinations.

A word about dill. The first time my husband made breakfast for me, he gave me scrambled eggs with dill. Not in his eggs, just in mine. He was trying to give me a taste of Russia. It was very sweet. And it was gross. So dill has been an acquired taste for me. Now, however, I can't imagine some dishes without it. Take Borscht for example. Ok, so that's a Russian soup, but I maintain the point that dill makes it so much better.

Although I still wouldn't recommend it in your scrambled eggs.


Cucumber Dill Salad
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
2 cucumbers, sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt, more to taste

Directions
1) Combine all ingredients except salt. Allow salad to chill at least 30 minutes.
2) Stir in salt directly before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...